New Hampshire was the 18th state to introduce the Healthy Workplace Bill
- As of April 19, 2013, the Senate Executive Departments and Administration Committee voted to re-refer HB 591. The committee acknowledged there is a problem that needs to be addressed. This bill was SEA member driven. A workgroup of SEA members including member State Representative Diane Schuett (bill sponsor) convened last year and helped draft and support this legislation. This workgroup is a prime example of what SEA members can accomplish by working collaboratively on an issue.
- The House Labor Committee voted 19-0 to pass HB 591. The bill was amended (changed).
- There was a public hearing for HB 591 in the House Labor Committee, on Tuesday February 19.
- The State Employees' Association of New Hampshire, SEIU Local 1984 is the driving force in the state to enact the Healthy Workplace Bill. Rep. Schuett, the prime sponsor is a member. SEUI International President Mary Kay Henry spoke eloquently about SEIU commitment to support the Healthy Workplace Bill nationwide at a National Press Club event Oct. 15, 2012 sponsored by the Workplace Bullying Institute.
- HB 591 was introduced Jan. 3, 2013 by Prime Sponsor Rep. Dianne Schuett. It provides protection for State employees and those who work for any of its "political subdivisions," and volunteers or auxiliary members of a fire, police department, ambulance service, or the state police, whether paid or not paid (not for private sector employees). Employees subjected to an abusive work environment may choose the method of seeking relief (1) using the courts (private right of action), or (2) a hearing with the Labor Commissioner.
- Read the text of the original bill.
- Use the HWC E-Z Letter writer above to contact each of the Sponsors (thank them) and the key Committee members listed below (to encourage them to schedule a public hearing for the bill)
|Rep. Dianne Schuett, Prime Sponsor (D)||(603) email@example.com||Here|
|Rep. Janice Schmidt (D)||(603) firstname.lastname@example.org||Here|
|Rep. Frank Davis (D)||(603) email@example.com||Here|
|Rep. Alan Turcotte (D)||(603) firstname.lastname@example.org||Here|
|Rep. Susan Emerson (R)||(603) email@example.com||Here|
|Rep. Virginia Irwin (D)||(603) firstname.lastname@example.org||Here|
|Rep. Sylvia Gale (D)||(603) email@example.com||Here|
|Rep. Caroletta Alicea (D)||(603) firstname.lastname@example.org||Here|
|Rep. Andrew White, Committee Chair (D)||(603) email@example.com||Here|
|Rep. Sally Kelly, Vice Chair (D)||(603) firstname.lastname@example.org||Here|
|Rep. Linda DiSilvestro, Clerk (D)||(603) email@example.com||Here|
HB 591 was introduced Jan. 3, 2013.
HB 1403 was introduced on January 6, 2010 by Rep. William Butynski. A public hearing was held on 1/7/10. The Labor, Industrial, and Rehabilitative Services Committee held a work session on 2/2/10 and an executive session on 2/9/10.
On February 10th, 2010, a vote of 17-0 determined the bill was inexpedient to legislate (died in committee).
Want to be the NH State Coordinator?
We currently do not have a coordinator for your state. Please read the link below for more information about becoming a coordinator.
Learn what it takes to be a State Coordinator.