Massachusetts was the 6th state to introduce the Healthy Workplace Bill
- The 2013-14 Massachusetts legislative session ended on July 31, 2014. The Healthy Workplace Bill, HB 1766, was slated for a House floor vote, but the Speaker never called for the vote (third reading). The process begins again in January for the 2015-2016 session.
- HB 1766 passed ("reported favorably out of committee") the Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development on March 27, 2014.
- State Sen. Katherine Clark, the enthusiastic co-sponsor of HB 1766, left the MA State Senate to become a U.S. Congresswoman in a 2013 special election.
- July 4 editorial in the Melrose (MA) Free Press by sponsor Sen. Katherine Clark.
- On June 25, 2013 the Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development held a public hearing for HB 1766, the Healthy Workplace Bill. Watch this space for results of the hearing. Use the E-Z writer above to urge members of the committee to pass the bill.
- House bill HB 1766 was introduced on Feb. 13, 2013. The step begins the journey toward making the Healthy Workplace Bill the law in Massachusetts.
- Prime sponsors are House Rep. Ellen Story and Sen. Katherine Clark.
- There are 37 other co-sponsors (listed below). All need to be thanked using the EZ letter writer tool above.
- The bill is assigned to the Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development (key officers listed below). Write (also on the EZ writer) to the Committee Chairs listed below asking for a public hearing for HB 1766. When a public hearing is scheduled, notice will appear here.
- Read the text of the bill here.
- Volunteer to help our State Coordinators work the bill through committee hearings to floor votes to the Governor's desk. Use the form below. Your information is sent directly to them.
- Visit the website for the MA Healthy Workplace Advocates.
HB 1766 Sponsors
|Rep. Ellen Story (Prime Sponsor)||D-3rd Hampshire||617-722-2012||Ellen.Story@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Brian M. Ashe||D-2nd Hampden||617-722-2090||Brian.Ashe@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Cheryl A. Coakley-Rivera||D-10th Hampden||617-722-2014||Cheryl.Coakley-Rivera@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Diana DiZoglio||D-14th Essex||617-722-2425||Diana.DiZoglio@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Patricia A. Haddad||D-5th Bristol||617-722-2600||Patricia.Haddad@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Carlos Henriquez||D-5th Suffolk||617-722-2396||Carlos.Henriquez@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Peter V. Kocot||D-1st Hampshire||617-722-2140||Peter.Kocot@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Louis L. Kafka||D-8th Norfolk||617-722-2960||Louis.Kafka@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Kay Khan||D-11th Middlesex||617-722-2011||Kay.Khan@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. John J. Lawn||D-10th Middlesex||617-722-2400||John.Lawn@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Russell E. Holmes||D-6th Suffolk||617-722-2220||Russell.Holmes@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Kevin G. Honan||D-17th Suffolk||617-722-2470||Kevin.Honan@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. John J. Mahoney||D-13th Worcester||617-722-2400||John.Mahoney@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Paul McMurtry||D-11th Norfolk||617-722-2015||Paul.McMurtry@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. James J. O'Day||D-14th Worcester||617-722-2230||James.O'Day@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Denise Provost||D-27th Middlesex||617-722-2263||Denise.Provost@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Denise Andrews||D-2nd Franklinemail@example.com||Here|
|Rep. Theodore C. Speliotis||D-13th Essex||617-722-2410||Theodore.Speliotis@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Benjamin Swan||D-11th Hampden||617-722-2680||Benjamin.Swan@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. John W. Scibak||D-2nd Hampshire||617-722-2240||John.Scibak@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Ruth Balser||D-12th Middlesex||617-722-2396||Ruth.Balser@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Paul Brodeur||D-32nd Middlesex||617-722-2400||Paul.Brodeur@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Christine Canavan||D-10th Plymouth||508-588-3566||Christine.Canavan@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Gailanne Cariddi||D-1st Berkshire||617-722-2130||Gailanne.Cariddi@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. John Fresolo||D-16th Worcester||508-799-9386||John.Fresolo@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Danielle Gregoire||D-4th Middlesex||617-722-2425||Danielle.Gregoire@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Jonathan Hecht||D-29th Middlesex||617-722-2140||Jonathan.Hecht@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Brian Mannal||D-2nd Barnstable||617-722-2425||Brian.Mannal@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Carl Sciortino, Jr.||D-34th Middlesex||617-722-2013||Carl.Sciortino@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Frank I. Smizik||D-15h Norfolk||617-722-2676||Frank.Smizik@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Aaron Vega||D-5th Hampden||617-722-2425||Aaron.Vega@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Senator Katherine Clark, Prime Sponsor (D)||Resigned||U.S. Congresswoman, after 2013 election|
|Senator James Welch (D)||D-Hampden||413-737-7756||James.Welch@masenate.gov||Here|
|Senator James Eldridge (D)||D-Middlesex and Worcester||413-737-7756||James.Eldridge@masenate.gov||Here|
|Senator Jennifer Flanagan (D)||D-Worcester and Middlesex||978-534-3388||Jennifer.Flanagan@masenate.gov||Here|
|Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz (D)||D-2nd Suffolk||617-722-1673||Sonia.Chang-Diaz@masenate.gov||Here|
|Senator John Keenan (D)||D-Norfolk and Plymouth||617-722-1494||John.Keenan@masenate.gov||Here|
|Senator Thomas M. McGee (D)||D-3rd Essex||617-722-1350||Thomas.McGee@masenate.gov||Here|
|Senator Michael Knapik (R)||R-2nd Hampden and Hampshire||413-562-6454||Michael.Knapik@masenate.gov||Here|
Committee Chairs, Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development
|Rep. Thomas P. Conroy (House Chair)||D-13th Middlesex||617-722-2430||Thomas.Conroy@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Rep. Lori A. Ehrlich (House Vice Chair)||D-8th Essex||617-722-2014||Lori.Ehrlich@mahouse.gov||Here|
|Senator Daniel A. Wolf (Senate Chair)||D-Cape and Islands||617-722-1570||Daniel.Wolf@masenate.gov||Here|
|Senator Michael Barrett (Senate Vice Chair)||D-3rd Middlesex||617-722-1572||Mike.Barrett@masenate.gov||Here|
The following organizations have voiced their support for the current workplace bullying legislation.
Massachusetts Healthy Workplace Advocates Freedom Week Seminar Oct. 19, 2012
The featured speaker was Dr. Ronald Schouten, director of the Law & Psychiatry Service at Mass. General Hospital and author of Almost a Psychopath. which includes a very good chapter on workplaces that mentions WBI's studies. Greg Sorozan will also participate in a panel discussion as one of four distinguished panelists. Suffolk Law Professor David Yamada moderated.
July 14, 2011 Committee hearing TV coverage: Deb Calidieri, bullied teacher, Greg Sorozan, MA State Coordinator, & Rep. Coakley-Rivera interviewed
July 14, 2011 Committee hearing, left to right, Crystal Novich, Greg Sorozan, & Suffolk Law Prof. David Yamada
Rep. Ellen Story introduced HB 1766 on Feb. 13, 2013. The bill died on July 31, 2014 waiting for a House floor vote that was never called.
Rep. Ellen Story introduced HB 2310, & Senator Katherine Clark introduced the sister-bill S 916. Neither bill received a floor vote after a very successful public hearing.
Sen. Joan Menard (did not seek re-election) sponsored SB 699. The Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development held a public hearing on Wednesday January 27, 2010. No vote or subsequent action was taken.
In 2009, Rep. Story is re-filing her call for a study, but the complete version of the Healthy Workplace Bill has been sponsored by Senator Joan Menard. This will be the third attempt in the state to address bullying through legislation.
Representative Ellen Story re-filed the Petition as H 1850
Representative Ellen Story re-filed the Petition as H 1850
In response to the 2004 public policy question Representative Ellen Story introduced Petition H 3809 calling for the state to study and develop a mandated program for employers to combat bullying. No action was taken.
The 3rd District (Hampshire), a public policy question appeared on the ballot through the efforts of a single, bullied individual. The question asked if legislation to address workplace bullying should be crafted. The affirmative responses won a majority (68%) of the vote.
Interested in working for enactment of the Healthy Workplace Bill in Massachusetts?
Fill out the following form and we'll put you in contact with the State Coordinator.